Monday, November 18, 2013

The Holidays and Depression: For some unknown (at least to me) reason the holiday season intensifies depression, panic, and anxiety.  It is a common thing for those who suffer with depression to experience even more of these symptoms during this time. I know there's the hustle and bustle of family dinners, shopping, and planning, but, that just doesn't seem to be the entire reason. For some strange reason the holidays bring a dark cloud over the person that even he/she can't explain.
As for me, part of me looks forward to the holidays, the kids being home, the dinners and the gifts. However, there's the other side that just has a dark, sad feeling. I ask myself why, but I have never come up with a concrete answer. Oh, I can point to things in my past, but those are always there-they don't just appear during this season. I point to the stressful side of all the events but, no, that's not really it either. Is it the fact that others seem to be enjoying it all so much and my depressive tendencies are screaming that they are NOT enjoying it and WHY can't I?- I don't know.
About the only thing I have to offer are some of the things I have learned to do that helps-it doesn't take it all away but it does allow me to enjoy more than I normally would.
One of the first things with me is planning. I have a major problem with feeling "out of control". If I can't control my circumstances, it brings me feelings of panic and more anxiety. I save a certain amount all year for Christmas gifts and expenses-this takes the load of financial pressure off.
Next, I shop EARLY. The busyness of the stores, the traffic, and the crowds makes me very anxious which leads to more depression.
I plan all my food and meals in advance along with the grocery list that goes along with them. I can't stand trying to think of what I will serve just days ahead.
I do my best to concentrate on what the holidays are about. It's not about me, or the food, the gifts or those who receive them. It's about being truly thankful and celebrating Jesus's birth.
I try with all my might to put bad memories behind me. When they creep in, I will make a conscious effort to say, "NO, that has nothing to do with now". Dwelling on them makes me deeply depressed and over shadows anything good that is happening.
Another thing I try to do is to see the holidays through the eyes of a child. Not, me as a child, but those around me. I soak in their excitement and the wonder in their eyes and look at it through theirs.
Getting plenty of rest in between the business is crucial to me along with quiet time. Without these things the depression grows and the anxiety mounts. Again, that's why planning way ahead helps me-it gives me more of that time.

I am not in anyway minimizing or suggesting that these small things you can do will cure depression. They're simply a few ways that I cope. You may have others-do what works for you. Even though holiday depression is a fight that still has to be fought, we do what we have to do to cope.

Lastly, depression is a condition that we continue fight and have to fight a little harder during the holidays. If that means asking your doctor if an adjustment in medication is in order or if going to counseling a little more often could help. We do what we have to do.

Just know that it's not just you-many many people suffer with this condition. It's real and it's painful. But it will get better and less intense. My heart goes out to all who suffer this time of year. My prayer for each and every one suffering is that they will find the peace of Jesus Christ-the only One who can help carry this burden and the only One who truly understands.

With all love and compassion,
Deb

No comments:

Post a Comment