Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Suicide

I tread lightly and cautiously on the subject of suicide. As always I do not claim to be a professional-I can only speak from my own experience and the experiences of others.

Suicide brings up many opinions and misconceptions. For instance:"suicide is one of the most selfish things a person could do". The problem with this line of thinking is this: the person contemplating suicide is obviously not thinking rationally. They are apt to do something that makes perfect sense to them. From my own experiences with this thought is this: I would be doing my family and loved ones a favor in not having to deal with me and my problems anymore". I can remember many times that I had these thoughts. A person with major depression actually feels this way. They feel like a burden and that they bring continual pain to those they love. Hence, my being gone would free them from this continual burden. While this is untrue, it feels very true to the one suffering.

Another mindset of the person contemplating suicide is that they simply can't take anymore. Personally, I have felt that I couldn't stand another minute of the sadness; the anxiety; the deep inner hurt I felt. No one with a healthy mind can understand the day to day fight that a majorly depressed person feels-it is at times unbearable and one becomes absolutely desperate for relief. Suicide promises this relief to the one suffering.

A caution: take seriously the thoughts and actions of a suicidal person. They often give off signs or thoughts that they are contemplating such a drastic measure. Other times, there are no signs at all.

Suicide leaves devastated loved ones in it's aftermath. Guilt, anger, questions all have to be dealt with. I believe what loved ones have to know is that if a person is dead set on committing suicide, there was probably nothing you could have done. Try to look at it from the victims point of view-they usually never intended to hurt anyone. They either were desperate for relief and found this to be the only answer. Again, a suicidal person is not thinking in a rational way.

I thank God that I never acted on my thoughts. I realize what it would have done and the harm it would have caused. But, I do understand the thought process of those who attempt or actually commit the act. My heart goes out to the loved ones left behind. They need help and understanding beyond belief.

No comments:

Post a Comment